Pages

06 January 2014

Lisbon and a Wedding

A few months ago I traveled back to Lisbon to attend my niece's wedding. Let's say it was one of the hardest traveling experiences I have ever had. First, hours before my flight, I could not find my passport! Unfortunately, I had to purchase a new ticket for a flight two days later, which would put me there the morning of the wedding. The new flight itinerary had very tight connections, which left me very restless... The day of my travel, I flew from Portland to Chicago to connect with Newark, then Lisbon. Upon arriving in Chicago, I quickly realized that the flight to Newark was delayed, which meant I would lose my connection to Lisbon. So I stood in line for an hour and a half to try and be rerouted... The only option was through Frankfurt, with a flight arriving in Lisbon two hours before the wedding! I still had time to take a shower (couldn't even dry my hair!) and head to the church! What a relief it was that I did not miss it!! It was a beautiful ceremony and worth all the agony to get there!


 
 
 



 

 After the wedding, it was all about resting, visiting with family and friends, sightseeing, enjoying some great food and lots of pampering from mom!

Mom's sun room, my favorite room in the house!

 Exploring around Lisbon, so may familiar places yet so much to still discover...

 

 





 

 

 

 
A visit to Lisbon would not be complete without a stop in Belem, where the magestic Mosteiro dos Jeronimos stands, and where the best pastries in the world are made (pasteis de belem)!


   Quaint restaurant in Belem


 A mandatory stop is always the Feira da Ladra (Thieves Fair), an unpretentious but rich in variety flea market spread through several streets and squares of Lisbon. I found several treasures which I have listed on Etsy (check on my sidebar).





We also made a day trip to visit some stunning spots around Lisbon...

Sintra



Mafra

Azenhas do Mar

The last day of my visit, I finally had the chance to visit the Israeli Cemetery, where my paternal grandparents and great-grandparents are buried. You can read about my grandparents love story in this post... Depositing a stone on each of their graves gave me a true sense of peace and I came home with a  grateful heart.





I have just updated my Etsy shop, so be sure to stop by (link on my sidebar)!



4 comments:

  1. beautiful post and the images are great!! Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it is beautiful there! I've never been anywhere outside of the USA. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My worst nightmare! What a bummer with a happy ending! I loved Sintra when I was there over 15 years ago...and Portugal is one of my favorite countries....I need to travel with you sometime....I'm up for it anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you always have the most beautiful trips to your home land, I enjoy all the pictures so much.
    I love the history of Europe

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy and appreciate your comments!! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin