Pages

12 February 2009

Fabric dresser tutorial and cool finds!






A few posts ago I shared a dresser makeover using vintage inspired fabric and fusible web. I had some requests for me to share how I used the fusible web to directly fuse the fabric onto the front of the dresser drawers... I have to say it is extremely simple!!











I bought Heat'n Bond Ultrahold fusible web. It is designed for no-sew projects and offers a little more body to the fabric than a regular web. I decided to give this tray a makeover by painting it and replacing the print. I started by cutting a piece of fabric and a piece of fusible web a few inches larger than the final size I wanted.





































After pressing the fabric, to get rid of wrinkles, fuse the web onto the back of the fabric (rough side of paper backed web against the back of the fabric). It only takes two seconds with the iron set on wool. Do not spend more than two or three seconds on it, or the glue will start melting! Let cool for a few seconds and peel the paper from the fabric. The fabric will now have a shiny back. This is the time when I cut to the exact size I need.

Place the fabric on whatever piece you want to cover and press for about 8-10 seconds. Make sure to cover all the areas. If it's a vintage or sensitive material, make sure to use a cloth in between. Always read the instructions that come with the fusible web, as they vary according to the brand!!!





















You're done!! Didn't I tell you it was easy? Can't wait to see what you do...























I thought I would share a few cool things I have found on my last thrifting trips (and a few came from Monticello...)!! This adorable lamp was found at the GW outlet, and I couldn't believe it was still there...

















As always, I can't resist some great fabric, be it curtains, pillows, or even velvet... I love every single piece!!






This will be a great addition to my boudoir doll collection. I blame Cindy, the Queen of Tarte, for introducing me to these dolls... She created a monster!!

















After having admired birdcages for so long, I finally bought my first one!!!!






Here is another doll I purchased at a thrift store... The best part? It was 75% off!!!





I looooove this adorable vintage laundry bag, the fabric is gorgeous!!!






















But my favorite purchase was by far this awesome pink gym locker shelf I got from my sweet friend Sue, from Bella Shabby and a fellow dealer at Monticello!!! She had found 5 (five!) of these at an estate sale, so I asked (begged!) if she would sell me one, and she did!! I will be using it for displaying linens and pillows at Monticello and at shows... Isn't this the coolest piece ever? I will be back soon with more to share!!














30 comments:

  1. Oh My! I love the chest of drawers you made. It is wonderful. I must have missed that post. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Lorri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how you added the fabric...I fell in love with that dresser when you added the fabric. The blue on the birdcage is beautifuI. I am so envious that Sue sold you the locker shelf.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find, the gym lockers. I have been on the look out for some of them too. I like your blog, I just found it tonight. Great pictures. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabel, you find the best stuff! How do you do it?!! The pink metal shelves, the laundry bag...also love your new birdcage. Mlle Magpie has a small collection of those and yours is very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lucky, lucky thing you! I absolutely coveted those gym baskets when she did the post on them. Those are the coolest ones I've ever seen. There is no duplicating that color! I am not pink but green with envy. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You struck gold girl!!!
    Have a great day
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and adore it! We have similiar tastes. I have that same birdcage but in white. If you don't mind I would love to add you to my blog roll. I am in Oregon as well. cherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just make it look soooo easy! I am going to have to try this! Love the gym locker rack! Lucky you! Hugs, Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY!!!!!!!!! The locker shelf is JUST FAB!!! And it is PINK!
    ... You LUCKY, LUCKY GIRL! We are all 'envious'!
    Hugs,
    Monica x.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really useful tutorial - thanks so much. I've been wondering what the fusile web stuff is called in France - I moved here from the UK four years ago and haven't needed any new 'bondaweb' up until now. But my old stocks have run out and I'm going to need to go shopping again... Quite exciting, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of your treasures, especially the bird cage. I have been admiring them for a long time too, but have yet to actually buy one. I'm afraid of starting another collection of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES! That is the most awesome shelf~very nice of her to share:)
    Thanks for showing us more-that answered my questions about the raw edges fraying! Simple!
    Thanks for the sweet comment-it is really quite a perplexing time of life:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness isabel! I would *DIE* for that pink locker shelf!!! eek!!
    Hey, my friend and I are going down to sellwood/portland next weekend, can you recommend a good bed and breakfast or hotel to stay in??? Got to spend the day at Montecello's! Can't wait to see your s and Lisa's booth agaiN!
    Thanks!!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love your new finds. The lamp is great, and like you, can't believe it was still there. Our GW is a good one too, but you have to be a regular to get the good stuff. I try but my schedule during the day is not always the best. What a good idea for displaying your linens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great stuff! Thanks for the tutorial also. Where is Monticello? I will be in Oregon next month and we might want to visit the antique mall if it's not too far from Dayton. My DIL & grandkids like that kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That pink gym locker shelf? Get outta here!!!! Cutest thing I have seen in a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY GOSH, ISABEL!!! Those locker basket shelves...ugh! I have wanted one of those forever, you lucky girl! Lucky, lucky! Oh, and your birdcage is fabulous!!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there--

    I was searching Google for a photo of a fabric covered dresser I'd seen recently and found yours instead. How beautiful!!! And I hadn't thought of using Heat-n-Bond. Thanks for that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am wondering how you were able to secure the fabric so that it appears to cover the edges of the drawer. Did it wrap around to the inside and if so did you secure it the same way (iron)?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice project and it turned out just lovely. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, great finds! I love boudoir dolls too. And thanks for the tutorial. I want to give that project a try when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had this dresser pined on my DIY Pinterest Board and love it more each time I look at it. So Shabby Chic!!

    I featured you on my blog last night at http://shabbysweettea. I have a button on my side bar, if you would like it. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that fabric fused to the tray is the crafty-est trick ever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for posting the tutorial! The dresser looks beautiful! And I love your vintage finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was wondering when you covered the drawer fronts what did you do with the excess fabric on the corners...I would love to have a go but first I must find the fusable web here in Portugal and secondly I was wondering about the corners..to much fabric might cause the drawers not to close..would you tuck and fold like making a bed?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've had this pinned on interest for awhile now and I'm ready to try it. I'm also wondering how you applied the fabric around the edges of the drawers. Glue, staple? Does it effect how the drawer closes? Or did you do the fabric just on the front of the drawers? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a follow up note, my dresser drawers close on the front, not slide in if that makes sense.

      Delete
  27. Love the dresser. Do you put anything on it when done for protection

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy and appreciate your comments!! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin