Pages

07 July 2010

Roma

We just came back from spending a few days in Rome and Venice.... We had a wonderful time, but were graced with a scorching heat wave!! Even I, with my mediterranean skin, had a hard time coping with it...!!! Needless to say, the heat and the fact that my children are not used to standing in huge lines and walking for miles and miles daily, made us all a bit cranky and impatient!! My 7-year old son decided to become Garbage Man, as he became fascinated and started picking up (despite our begging for him to stop) all kinds of garbage from the floor, especially cigarette butts!!  Whenever we would start fading, we would just hop onto an open deck bus and enjoy a ride to replenish our energy!! Or we would take refuge in the Hotel until we felt ready to take on the city again. In all, we were able to see pretty much all the landmarks we wanted, including St Peter's Basilica (even got a glimpse of the Pope!), the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum and Roman ruins, the Fountain of Trevi, the Pantheon and much more!


St. Peter's Basilica

Our Pope, Benedict XVI

... a view from the Basilica's cupola, which we reached entirely by foot!!


Vatican Museum

... love this detail of a Vatican hand-painted closet...


We stayed at a recently renovated hotel at an excellent location just a few blocks from the Vatican. The rooms were a bit small - tiniest showers I have ever seen, but they were very clean, the staff was very friendly and the price was great (for European standards...)!!!


Colosseum

Roman Forum

Fontana di Trevi

... I don't know who wanted this pink scooter more, my daughter or me...!!!



Yes, I can say we walked away from Rome happy and hoping we will be back soon!!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful pictures! I can't even imagine being there. It is so wonderful! Why, oh why, did you ever leave there?
    Your mother's tastes are so grand, as yours, and I love her home, too!
    Have a great time for all of us on this side of the ocean.
    Tete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a wonderful trip you had. The travel bug bit me too and I just returned from London. Now I am planning my next adventure and I sure hope I figure out how to get things back home. Your flea market finds were wonderful! Did you get your bidet back to the states? That was incredible! I will be keeping up with all your adventures.
    Hugs
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty amazing...lucky you!


    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for fabulous photos! I just adore Rome and of course, Venice too. Now, I want to go back! Your children are beautiful and how wonderful to have shared this trip with them too!
    :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isabel,

    What great photos...I've so enjoyed looking at them.

    Have a great day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what an adventure, can't wait to see more. Hugs Florence

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful photos! I loved seeing them as Rome is a place I've always wanted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post Your family looks like they had so much fun The pictures of the ceiling at the Vatican are unreal it is hard to believe someone could do that. Thanks for sharing Sincerely,Jonny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love being able to see Rome through your eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breathtaking!

    I'm in Portland this week, and may be popping in to visit your mall this afternoon. I'll be sure to check out your space. :-)

    All the best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing your pictures of Rome. It brings back wonderful memories of traveling there almost 2 years ago. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Your kids are so great to have posed so cute for your photos!
    :)Heidi

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy and appreciate your comments!! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin