Pages

18 May 2008

Simple secret



"Goodbye", said the fox. "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."





When I was young, my favorite thing to do was reading. For me, it was a welcoming refuge from the daily chaos of growing up with five siblings... "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupery quicly became (and still is) one of my favorite books of all times! It truly aches me that my kids don't enjoy reading as much as I did when I was their age... When I was 8 or 9, my mom would let me walk to the bookstore every Saturday to get a new book. One of my favorite collections was the books by the Comtesse de Segur. I sudied in a full immersion french school, so most of my reading was in french.


















Another of my favorite reads was a book published by the Readers Digest, called "the World's Best Fairy Tales". I would read it from cover to cover, day after day... I had the portuguese version, and was delighted to have found the english version shortly after I moved to the US... Today I don't read nearly as much as I would love to, but the day will come when I will do more than look at the pretty pictures in magazines...!! You wait and see!!








































I leave you with some pictures of some lovely things I found at a church sale my friend Jeanne and I went last Friday. Whe had lots of fun and came back with great sfuff at even better prices! My favorite finds were a large oval mirror with gorgeous detailing and the huge pickling container, not to mention the beautiful ladies prints snatched at only 50 cents a piece!!...





















































9 comments:

  1. Wonderful book and fantastic treasures you found! ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  2. great finds. I would love to know next time your church has a sale!! Do you ever go to the Elephant up around 22nd and Burnside?? I love that place!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What neat things you found at the sale. Hope you have a great week, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say if I had to choose one hobby/activity to do for the rest of my life it would be reading. LOVE IT. I actually just spent the last 20 minutes reading your entire blog. I am glad to have the time to catch up on it before you had too many entries. I loved it Isabel and especially your fantastic pics. Keep it coming! Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isabel, The books are just beautiful...don't we just love the "look" of old things...not mention what is inside. I really enjoy seeing what you come up with...a treat for me. You find the neatest things! Thanks, too, for commenting on my newspaper seedling pots today. Pat at birdnestontheground

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books are such great friends, aren't they?
    It looks like you found great things, too. The *hunt* is such fun, isn't it?
    Those photos of Monticello make me remember why it is my favorite place to shop and why we'll drive for 6 hours just to get there!
    Have a great week!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to hear about your fave books when you were little... I loved to read when I was young and now it seems I never have TIME! lol

    love your church sale finds! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your little foot stool. Thanks for sharing and nice to meet you, Susie H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos and memories of your childhood brought tears to my eyes...oh how loved "Os Desastres de Sofia" (I wonder if my mom still has the book), and I too spent hours and hours reading. I brought back to the US my "Le Petit Prince" which I have read innumerous times. And then there were Enid Blyton's The Famous Five Series, The Twins at St. Claire's, and The Mallory Towers.
    My mom used to give me 20 escudos every week so I could go to Europa America Bookstore and get a new book from the series. One year, I went to Portugal and brought all my books to the US (those people at the airport must have thought I was crazy...lol) Thank you thank you for reminding me of the Comtesse de Segur's stories!

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy and appreciate your comments!! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin