Pages

24 September 2009

Sole Meuniere

Most kids' favorite foods include pizza, maccaroni and cheese or spaghetti... When I was a child, my all-time hands down favorite meal to eat was... Sole Meuniere!!! It was truly a happy day for me when we would go out to dinner and the menu included it... I still remember one day, when I was about 7 or 8 years old, we were all out at a restaurant for lunch, and I devoured my sole meuniere, but was still hungry... We all had dessert, and before my dad asked for the check, he said: "does anyone want anything else?" I replied... "can I have another sole meuniere?". I didn't get my second sole, but everyone got a good laugh!!!

When I went to see "Julie and Julia", my heart skipped a beat when I saw Julia eating my favorite childhood food shortly after her arrival in France...!!! I decided to recreate those childhood flavors and hopefully turn my own children into followers.... As it just happens, my local Costco sells packages of sole fillets (about 15 for around $12! Not bad!). I rushed home and cooked them for my family... They were a hit and my kids kept coming back for more! Here is how simple they are to cook:


Pat the fillets dry and season them with salt and pepper...





















... Coat them with flour and slap to remove the excess flour.





















In the meantime, melt about 3 tablespoons of butter. As soon as the butter stops foaming, add a few fillets (do not overcrowd the pan, they need to cook in a single layer). Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes - depends on the thickness of the fish -, turn and cook on the other side, until they are light brown.





















When they are ready, drizzle some of the leftover butter on top, squeeze some lemon juice over them, and if you wish add some chopped parsley. Tastes great with steamed or boiled potatos and vegetables!!! Give it a try, it is absolutely delicious, and so simple to prepare!!!




















8 comments:

  1. Yam-yam! I love fish & this reminds me of what my Mom used to cook. Steamed vegetables was sometimes traded for shredded carrot salad.
    Thanks Isabel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isabel,
    try to add a few sage leaves while cooking. They give such a particular flavor to it!
    Hubby and I love this served with rice.
    Hugs,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks delicious. I have to try this!
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  4. What memories...my Mom made that once a week, and always with oven baked macaroni & cheese and green beans. Okay..now I am getting hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you love that movie too, and how rapt "Julia's" face looked when eating, or descibing food. Thanks for sharing your recipie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mouthwatering!!!
    I just love fish. Mm-mm. But I tend to fuss with the fillets too much, so much that at last 1 of them breaks apart, haha! Right, and you know, the cook always gets the ugliest piece.

    Now I have to, have to, have to catch that movie...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi :)
    I just found you blog and I love it :))
    So I`ll be back soon :)

    Hugs, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering!!!! My favorite food growing up was fried green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy and appreciate your comments!! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin