Pages

16 February 2012

Superfood Salad

When I traveled to England last summer (you can see the posts here, here, here and here), I ate a lot of budget-friendly "on-the-go" food... My favorite place of nourishment was a natural food chain called Pret-a-Manger, it featured a variety of healthy sandwiches, salads, soups, snacks and drinks, but another favorite was the food section at Marks & Spencer. That is where I came across a salad that I vowed to reproduce at home, as it was delicious, protein-filled and, above all, healthy! The name was Super Wholefood Shaker Salad, and it consisted of quinoa, wild rice, lentils, butternut squash, cucumber, red pepper, tomato and sunflower and pumpkin seeds, dressed with basil-infused sunflower oil and lemon juice. The salad was packaged in a plastic shaker cup, so you could add the separately packaged dressing, put the lid back on and "shake" to blend.

Today was finally the day to make this salad, and, I have to say, it's just as delicious as I remember! I obviously did not have the proportions, only the list of ingredients, so I made it up as I went along... I am listing amounts just as a guideline, I would suggest you adjust it to your personal preferences. 





SUPERFOOD SALAD

4 cups cooked organic quinoa
1 cup cooked wild rice (I used Bob's Red Mill's quick cooking wild rice)
1 cup cooked lentils (I used Bob's Red Mill's petite french lentils)
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped and roasted butternut squash
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Chopped basil to taste (optional)


As you can tell, I made a large portion... It will keep in the refrigerator for a few days and my kids will enjoy taking some to school. The original recipe used basil-infused sunflower oil and lemon juice for the dressing. Since I don't have any at hand I just added a little bit of chopped basil, then drizzled a little olive oil and lemon juice with a pinch of sea salt. I will also only add the dressing to the portion I am going to eat, I like it better this way. Next time I make it, I will try and add other veggies, such as asparagus or broccoli... What would you add to your superfood salad?

9 comments:

  1. Looks Great! I'm going to make it and I think I will add golden raisins and cilantro.Looks so good and healthy for you.I wanted to let you know that Amy is having her French Brocante Sale Feb 24 th it was kinda short notice.I know I have seen you there before.Thanks for sharing~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try tomorrow! looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks Delish!
      I'm off to enjoy more of your lovely blog :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh…YUM, thank you!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Isabel!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad looks so gooooooood! I might add some chicken pieces to it, to add some more protein. Can't wait to try this. Hugs to you Isabella. Florence

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That looks and sounds delicious!
    I love wild and brown rice (I just made confetti brown rice the other day), but haven't tried quinoa, yet.
    Trying to introduce my bacon-lovin hubby to more healthy foods...baby steps. LOL
    This salad is next on the list!

    Thanks and have a great weekend!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy and appreciate your comments!! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin